To keep your pearls looking their best for years to come, please note the following tips:
Protect your pearls:
- Pearls are soft and porous and can be damaged by contact with certain chemicals. Hairspray, perfume, cosmetics, sun block, chlorine bleach, vinegar and ammonia will dull the luster of a pearl and eventually damage its surface.
- Put your pearls on after you finish putting on hairspray, perfume etc. (If possible allow 30 minutes before putting on your pearls.)
- Remove pearls before exercising to avoid damage by the natural acids in perspiration.
- Do not wear your pearls in the swimming pool, hot-tub or the Beauty Salon. They may absorb chlorine or other chemicals from the atmosphere.
- Pearls are easily scratched so avoid contact with metal jewelry or other sharp or rough substances.
- Wipe the pearls with a soft, damp cloth after each use to remove body oils and dirt. This stops any damaging substances from being absorbed into the pearls.
- Pearls may be washed occasionally with mild soap (not detergent) and a soft cloth, rinsed in clean water, and blotted dry with a cotton towel. Do not hang them to dry as it will stretch the thread.
- Acetone may be used, if necessary, to clean pearls but do not use jewelry cleaners containing ammonia or vinegar. Never steam clean pearls as the heat will damage them.
- A little olive oil may be gently rubbed on scratches or dull areas without endangering the pearls.
- Keep pearls separated from hard or sharp jewelry items that may scratch them. Wrap them in a soft cloth or store in a soft pouch or soft lined jewelry box.
- Pearls need moisture, so follow these precautions: Keep away from high heat and long exposure to the sun. Do not store in an airtight bag. In a very dry atmosphere or a safety deposit box, leave a damp cloth nearby to provide needed moisture and prevent cracking.
- Wearing your pearls about once a month helps to keep them in good shape. The natural humidity in the air and natural oils from your skin keep the pearls at their best.
- A little olive oil can be used on the pearls without endangering them.
Restringing your pearls:
- If pearls are worn often, they should be restrung approximately once a year. The thread should be knotted between each pearl to prevent loss if a break should occur. Knotting between pearls, preferably with silk thread, can also prevent damage due to the pearls rubbing against each other and wearing on the pearl nacre.
- Send us an email if you'd like us to help you restring your pearls?.